I have this habit of starting a project before I’ve finished the last one. Some projects get started and then I get frustrated with it and decide to move onto something else for a bit. An example of this is the railing on our little balcony on the front of the house. I first looked at it 2 years ago and decided that there were too many layers of paint on it and before I applied anymore it would be best to remove and start fresh.
I tried a number of different methods – chemicals which just left things in a gooey mess, mechanical means (wire brushes on the end of a drill) which just couldn’t provide 100% removal and manual removal. The best method was with a box knife and just chipping away the old paint (I went through a lot of blades). A very very very slow process. So I would chip paint for a few days and then go off and do other things. However, I thought that the detail in the iron work was worth exposing.
In any event, I finally finished applying new paint this past September. I figure that I put about 120 hours in total to get to the one coat of paint. I will apply a second coat this spring 2015. I decided to wait for the spring just to allow any rust spots to show up which I will remove before the second coat.
Now I am happy to say that with the restoration of the front 4 windows, a new door on the second floor, a painted front door and a freshly painted railing that the exterior of the front of the house is now DONE!