I was discussing earlier how little stone there is between the floor and the lower window lintels. As the windows and doors are all stacked on top of each other there is very little vertical weight in the window wells. In the kitchen, I had to repair a portion of the floor that was in the window well. While I was at it, I decided to replace the sagging beam down below. These pictures will show you that the stone is not vertically thick, more or less just filling up the “joist pocket”. So, pulling out the rotten beam below and putting in a new one did not involve a lot of support jacks or a temporary structure. All I did was support the three floor beams and then I pulled out all the stone. I sistered new lumber onto the floor beams with bolts for strength and then replaced the beam lintel. I put back the stone, installed some new flooring and all looks good and is strong.
Sounds like a five minute job. However, it took me about a week to do. Removing the old beam was dirty and dusty, a material run to St Brieu for wood, bolts and cement takes about a day, a sand run to the gravel pit in Megrit costs half a day and a search for flooring at Monty’s house (which always involves a pause for coffee, beer or both) takes a bit of time as well. Then mixing cement and head scratching to try and remember which stone came from where, hole drilling (thanks again to Monty and his Dexter equipment), insulation and finally fitting the finished floor. Voila!